Search This Blog

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Week of October 10th 2010 - Reviewing Monday's TV

So this post is quite a bit late but its been a busy week.  I have finally gotten through my Monday shows and now have the chance to write about them.  Lets start with the shorter two and move on to what I believe can be a mammoth new show and consume much of my time.

***NOTE: Spolier alert... this post may contain content specific to the episodes and therefore should not be read by those who are going to watch the shows in the future... unless that is you want to know what happens... or if you were one of the people who ruined the 6th sense for people I hope you read this and have the shows ruined for you...***

How I Met Your Mother
This weeks episode was par for the course.  It had some seriously funny moments including the Marshall vs The Machine song, The flashbacks as to why everyone needed a win and the bit about what it takes to be a New Yorker (should this post be read by anyone living in New York can you please confirm or deny what it takes to be a member of your city.  All I know is that your baseball team has way more money than mine... the Mets are not your team... the Yanks are New Yorks team lets not kid ourselves).  I was talking with my brother this weekend since it was Canadian thanks giving and we both went home to visit our parents (side note: canadian thanks giving is never celebrated on TV.  There are always thanksgiving episodes but Canadian characters never celebrate seperately.  Chandler never did, Robin doesn't and I'm at a loss for other Canadian characters but seriously we are underappreciated on TV).  My brother and I got down to discussing what shows we are watching and he was saying how he had to cut down his TV content.  I recommended adding the Event but he did not feel that he had a spare 45 min to fill with a show (what a sucker).  But that is inevitably the case with most people.  As priorities change the wonderful medium of television gets pushed aside.  Very sad.  However, 20 min shows (half an hour if you watch them live) are fairly easy to fit into one's schedule (I recommend watching over a meal, socializing with family or roommates is overrated anyway).  OK, enough brackets, what I am trying to say is that my brother made the interesting point that he is still watching HIMYM but only because he put so much time into it that he doesn't feel he can give up now without meeting the mother.  We have seen her calf, when will we see her face?  Does this make HIMYM more like LOST than I originally realized?  I was theorizing the other day about whose wedding we saw earlier in the season with a buddy of mine.  Okay enough about HIMYM.  I give this episode 7 smoke monsters out of 10.

Castle


I love Castle.  I think it is because I really want to see Nathan Fillion succeed.  Firefly was such an amazing show, and FOX fucked it up.  I mean FOX took a broom and violated this show.  It had so much potential.  It was a Western in Space for gorram sakes.  I wrote an essay for a class once as to whether or not Firefly adequately fills the Western and SciFi genres.  I think I will post it some time.  So with that in mind I will watch anything that Whedon, Fillion, or Adam Baldwin get their hands on.  I went back and watched some of Buffy and I actively anticipate The Avengers movie.  I watched Chuck seasons 1 and 2 only for Baldwin and now I am engrossed in Castle.  But not just for Fillion's sake.  This show is cool.  Fillion is funny, Stana Katic (Kate Beckett) is mad hot and those two guys who play the cops add some great comedic relief.  Add in the great chemistry bewteen Beckett and Castle and we have a winner.  If you like cop shows, dramedies, or shows revolving around a love affair that never seems to go down, watch Castle.  This episode was a cool one.  Some kind of weird club (as their often is) where people dress up like they are in Victorian (or some period like that, I can't remember for certain) England, and of course someone gets killed.  Some good twists as usual, a great piece with Ryan and Espisito where Espisito keeps getting hurt and the revitalization of the Castle-Beckett love affair as Beckett has her new man pick her up at the end of the episode.  The previews for next week showed Castle telling Beckett he loves her.  INTERESTING.  Also I want to throw this out there so that I get credit for it if it ever goes down:
There is a series of books, very popular with teenage girls, that I read because I was bored, I needed an easy read because I was writing the MCATs and it has enough similarities to Harry Potter that I mindlessly lost myself in them for a short period of time.  The series is called the Mortal Instruments and I just googled it and found out that there are 6 books, not 3 as I originally thought (I have only read 3 and the story seemed to end there so I guess she just wrote epilogue type stuff for three books).  It is by Cassandra Clare and the main character is a 16 year old read headed girl.  If they ever decide to make the books into a movie (which may not happen any time soon since a graphic novel deal is currently in the works according to the website) I think that Molly Quinn (Alexis Castle) NEEDS to play the part of Clary the main character.  She fits the part.  You heard it here first.  Hollywood, I expect my name to get put in the casting credits.
This week's Castle gets 8.5 reavers out of 10

Well those two took way more time than I thought, now on to...

The Event
This show has me hook line and sinker.  I am in.  It definitely gets a full season.  As I mentioned, this is my LOST replacement and along with Fringe is doing a nice job of filling that void.  This show is great, it has me theorizing already.  It is a bit more simple than LOST but that is OK because I don't need a show to be exactly the same, just needs to have elements that help me through my grief at the loss of LOST (ya I went there... you should know that I gave a eulogy the night my friends and I watched the Finale).  The elements I like... this show has "Others"  I don't know what to call these people who have kidnapped Layla other than that.  I am not convinced that they are the Inostronka (sp??) people, something tells me that they might be a third faction, potentially quasi governmental.  This show is also character driven, this week gave us some back story on Sean and Layla and left us with a twist that keeps us rooting for the two of them to end up back together, regardless of the fact that we know that it might be far away. Good luck Sean, don't get killed.  The pseudoscience behind the plane crash victim's rise from the dead is very cool, I would like to see where they take this.  And finally I like the way they tackle one issue each episode but still move the plot forward.  For example: this week the issue was Layla's kidnapping but we still got to see the plane crash victims move forward as well as the President's storyline move forward, but the focus lay with Sean and Layla.  This is a great setup.  It means that week to week the story can move slow enough that they fill a whole season, but we still get answers each week.  I like the "flashbacks" or the backstories they are helping to get me stoked about the characters and not just what is happening in the plot.  That is going to be vital for the show to continue.
The Event is not out of the woods yet on getting people hooked and keeping itself around.  Heroes did this for me and then started fucking around with plot points and I was done after season 2.  Needless to say Heroes got cancelled.  Moral of the story, if you can't keep my interest your show will get thrown off the air (counterpoint: all reality TV).  So the Event needs to stick to a story arc (assuming they have one, and I assume they do, because it is just plain stupid to not have a story arc at this point, viewers of these types of shows expect a certain level of sophistication, they can deal with outlandish plot premises but dont lose your plot line, it will be the death of you).
Here are my first 2 ideas/predictions about the Event (please take these with a grain of salt, I desperately want to theorize on something and may be grasping at straws, that being said, if I'm correct you all will bow down to my plot predicting greatness):
1.  The "aliens" are not aliens.  They are humans....................... FROM THE FUTURE!  And what is "the Event" you might ask?  I am guessing it is something that "makes" these people special.  So if you follow that logic, some time in the future there will be an event that makes some humans change to have advanced abilities (slower aging, potentially a link to the paranormal or just really advanced science), then something happens and they have to travel back in time (maybe they try space travel at light speed and get thrown back in time... i don't know its not a fully formed idea yet) and then of course they get captured and inevitably cause an event that leads to their own formation... cool no?
2.  Vicky Roberts is an "alien" her son his half and half... that means she had a child with a regular dude... that kid should play an important Walt like role... I hope he doesnt grow up too fast...
This weeks episode gets 9 Sawyer Nicknames out of 10.
Keep up the good work EVENT.

As a last thought, if you like post-apocalyptic anything try watching "The Colony Experiment."  It is the only reality show I will watch.  I was flipping channels on Sunday and found it.  Kind of cool.  People are thrown in to mock apocalyptic scenario and they have to survive.  Its Urban Survivor with no annoying "challenges" or getting voted off the island.
Have a good one.  I'll be back to review some other shows later this week/this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment