Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

People From The Future? People From Pluto?

So today is going to be again about The Event.  In fact, I think that the only shows I will review week to week will be The Event and Fringe. Other shows will get touched on.  I will probably write posts on why they are good, why they are bad, how they compare to shows from the past.  But lets be realistic.  The things I have to say about this weeks HIMYM are pretty close to what I would say about it from last week. Its still funny.  But as noted by the wise Spicy Apple, mostly being watched to see what comes next.  I posted on Facebook this week that I think Community is the best sit-com out there right now, only to start a massive row of feedback with one person in agreement, atleast 2 for Its always sunny in Philadelphia and another couple for  Modern Family.   This tells me that I better think about writing a Sit com comparison to settle the debate once and for all.  So If you have a Sitcom that you want me to look at as one of the best (ON TV RIGHT NOW... I will not be looking at shows that are off the air that can be a different post) put it in the comments.

The following piece contains spoilers.  Please do not read if you want to watch The Event at a later date and not know what happened.

Now down to business.  Where are we at with Sean, Layla, The President, Thomas, Sophia etc.  Lets look at the big reveals from Monday.  1st, Vicky's daughter is not her own flesh and blood.  That kills my theory from last time.  But still pretty cool.  For those of you keeping score I am 0-1 at this point on predictions.  However, we find out that Vicky has a heart, that she is getting herself into loads of trouble here.  Look for Vicky to change sides or die by the end of the season.  Dying seems unlikely since she is a mad-hot character.  So unless they go LOST on us and kill her like they killed Shannon, then I'd say change sides is most likely.  She helped Sean and Layla escape, which was an interesting turn of events. I honestly thought she was a cold hearted killer so seeing another side to the character really promotes more character like-ability and attachment.  Which is one of the things I said that The Event will need to do to survive.  So we know Vicky was a contract killer, but she has a heart.



We also learnt more about the Inostranka people.  The crash and Thomas' leadership.  Two really important scenes come out of these back stories I think.  The first is right after the crash, when they find the empty research station (which looks shockingly like a dharma research post) and Thomas says to Simon "They're still using vaccum tubes"  I believe this helps my from the future theory.  There is no reason aliens would have ever used vaccum tubes.  And why would he use the word "still"  Why would aliens evolve their technology in the same way we do?
Furthermore, the scene where Simon hunts down Thomas to New Mexico we see that he has joined the Manhattan project and was instrumental in helping to develop nucelar technology which the Inostrankans need to get home.  Good stuff.  Again, if they are from another planet, why is nuclear technology their fuel source?  We are limited here by what kind of fuel we have.  If they are from another planet couldn't they have a more powerful source of power (I would like to envoke logic from previous SciFi shows.  Naquadria from Stargate, that weird red ball thing from Star Trek.  I know this does not mean that in The Event the aliens would hail from a place where they had some kind of super awesome power source, just that the knowledge it would take to make OUR nuclear power seems likely to come from OUR planet.  Not another. )

The last thing I thought was cool about the episode was the look of extreme anxiety that Sophia had while on the train.  I think the train, or Sophia herself will probably go the way of the plane and Thomas will transfer her out.  But why is she worried.  What does she know that we don't?  Will Thomas keep her alive?  This is why I will watch next week.

In looking up a couple names/things for this post I came across these sources.  Kinda cool.  Both published by NBC but still.

Anyone know why 5314 is important?  I know its Avias 514... but what about the 3?  Post in comments. Maybe its a date?  March 5 2014?  May 3 2014?  Could this be the end date for the show?  Could this be the day of The Event?  I shall think about this and make a concrete theory next week.

http://www.truthseeker5314.com/

http://www.theeventiscoming.com/map.shtml

Until next week.  Namaste and have a good week.
Apples

P.S.
CommonSenseCool clearly has some well thought out ideas
http://boards.theeventiscoming.com/index.php?/topic/4-what-is-the-event/
I obviously like his theory the best.  It is closest to mine.  Altered timeline/future-present shift seem pretty close.  But either way, the Inostrankans cause the event, it involves them, maybe it is their creation, maybe they are here to observe it.
Also I hate shadow government conspiracies.  I hope this show changes my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment